Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chase

When we chose Chase's name, we hadn't discussed too many names yet, but we suddenly found ourselves in a time crunch to choose quickly after my water had broken and I developed a fever. Chase was doomed from the minute my water broke because I had an infection, which is what caused my water to break in the first place. The risk of the infection causing my death went up the longer he remained in my body, so suddenly we had to deliver my sweet boy. And we wanted a name.

We wanted our little boy to have THE name. You know, the one we'd have given him if we'd carried him to term and delivered a healthy baby. Chase was our favorite, and so it was decided. It was only recently that I started thinking about the meaning of the word "chase". And now, I don't think we could have found anything more appropriate if we'd had months to think about it.

Chase-to pursue in order to seize, overtake, etc.

Chase...Isn't this life referred to as a race in the Bible?

1 Corinthians 9:23-25--I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

The analogy of this life being a race has stuck with me since I was a track athlete in high school. The race was a one time chance. There are no do-overs when it is finished. That is why you lay it all out there on the track and despite the pain, you push yourself to new heights of speed and endurance. So it is with life, and now we give chase to attain the heights that have been reached by those who have gone before us. And Chase is now one who has "gone before". What a time it will be when we finish the race and no longer have to chase the child who left us behind!

1 comment:

The Perreca Family said...

How totally amazing. Thank you for sharing the pictures of him and the beauty of his name. I look forward to reading this blog and walking along side of you as you take this journey through the grieving process.